Annual PALS calls
Aim and scope
With this call, PALS wants to support and promote scientific interactions between fellows from the different PALS programs and/or from different centers. The supported collaborations can involve research or other activities in all areas of the different programs such as molecular medicine or different areas of life science and can be technology-driven or data-driven projects from fundamental, preclinical, translational, and clinical scientists.
The supported collaborations, e.g. joint research projects, scientific meetings, summer schools or training/workshop events in Sweden organized and coordinated jointly by the fellows, should:
– be innovative and cross-disciplinary projects
– aim for either or several of the following: technology development, knowledge transfer, data transfer
This annual call will support collaborations with 100.000 – 250.000 SEK (including indirect costs), the total annual sum awarded is 2 MSEK.
Who can apply?
The call is open for fellows, associated fellows and fellow alumni in the PALS community (WCMM, DDLS, SciLifeLab), and can also involve a collaborator as co-applicant from SciLifeLab’s infrastructure.
The proposed project needs to involve two or three applicants, representing at least two different program partners in PALS (WCMTM Gothenburg, WCMM Linköping, WCMM Lund, WCMM Umeå, DDLS Fellows program, SciLifeLab Fellows program, or SciLifeLab infrastructure).
Each applicant needs to be actively involved in the project, the main applicant is responsible for submitting the application and communication with co-applicants. The funding will be paid out to each project partner (applicant and co-applicant/s) separately, the funding can only be paid to a Swedish university via requisition. An applicant can be part of max. 2 applications (main or co-applicant).
For the first, 2023 call, the project period is January 1st-December 31st, 2024, the reporting and requisition is made in February 2025. Reporting templates will be provided.
Selected projects are expected to be presented at the PALS meeting during the project period (annual PALS meeting 2024), and the project results at the PALS meeting after the project period, in 2025. Information about the funded projects are published at palsnetwork.se/awarded grants.
Applications will be evaluated according to the assessment of the combination of the following criteria:
- Scientific quality and potential for novelty and originality
- Multi-disciplinary or translational approach
- Potential future or long-term impact
- Potential synergies in the planned collaboration
- Merit of ideas and alignment with the goals of PALS
Evaluators will also consider:
- If the project establishes a new collaboration
- Open science and data sharing aspects
- Industrial and societal relevance
- Complementarity of the applications (for example, gender balance, career stage, geographical distribution and project topic)
Link to application system
Deadline has closed. Next deadline to apply preliminary autumn 2024.
For any questions, please contact the coordinator at your site/for your program.
This call is part of the PALS initiative, supported by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation.